Experiencing An Overnight Trekking In Chisapani


My trekking journey to Chisapani started off on the 21st of October on a sunny morning from school. The night before, I had packed a load full backpack of about 2 and a half feet in height, which I thought would be insanely difficult to carry. Nevertheless, I had the guts to carry it as I had gone hiking a couple times before, in my previous school. Furthermore, my schoolmates and I were staying in fragile tents for two chilly nights, due to which it was actually essential to carry a heavy load. The day of the trekking was quite sunny and warm. We started walking from a village located towards the east of the capital city; from a place called Jhule. We were divided into groups of seven with a teacher for help. However, by halfway of our little hiking trip for about 25 minutes, everyone was shuffled and nobody from my group was visible. According to our teachers, the first 30-minute walk was actually much more difficult than the rest of the trek. Which was definitely true; we came across steep hills and STAIRS (the worst part). Despite that, the fact that we had friends for company made our trip more fun. We then hiked for three more hours until it was lunch time. We sat down in an open field, exactly located outside a dark passageway to a forest. the school provided us with chips, snacks and then I witnessed everybody mumbling and eating and resting. After 15 minutes or so, we headed off again, this time, along a nice and calm road, with reoccurring steep stairs.


Sweaty and greasy after 4 hours of trekking!

This specific road kept me motivated and by the time I’d reached halfway along the familiar road, I could actually feel my stamina increasing. The surrounding was almost the same everywhere; green bushes and wet grass. We found out that it was about to rain after hearing frequent lighting sound. Then (as we suspected), down came the rainfall. It wasn’t even rainfall, it was HAILSTORM. All 70 of us were stuck inside a shed, cuddled so close together to avoid the coldness and freezing air around us. Which of course, did NOT work. After about an hour inside the wet and miserable shed (the size of a horse stable), we put on our raincoats (which I did not have) and wind sheathers for protection. Then off we headed out again. This time, with more steps and wet, red and muddy passage uphill.


My friend and I “lost” after having a quick meal


My feet in a puddle of hailstones! On the way from the shed 🙂

After what seemed like 2 hours or so, our passage began to lead us downhill via thousands of steps. By that time, my clothes were all mucky and wet and the soles of my shoes thin as cheese slices! So then after walking for another two hours, we finally reached our tent area. That night, we cooked our own food; noodles with luncheon meat and sausages and had chips as well. The process of cooking your own food was even more fun than actually eating. We used a portable gas stove with all the kitchen appliances provided by the school. We had an excellent supper and then we had a bonfire hour with music. At around 9 or 10 at night, we buried ourselves with fresh and cosy clothes and into our beloved sleeping bags and went off to sleep.


The next day, we woke up pretty early (5 am) and went out to a nearby shop to use their restroom/toilet to wash our faces and freshen up. After that, we witnessed one of the most beautiful sunrises ever (same all over the world) but this time, in a higher altitude and the sun between the skyline above the mountains. After an amazing sunrise, our group assembled and prepared a breakfast for ourselves, this time, bread with tuna and cheese and of course, coffee. The best part of this trip was cooking and eating out meals. The we got dressed, appropriately for another 6 hours trekking to our second location. We headed off after taking a quick snapshot of the whole entire IB group. I then packed everything up from my tent and folded the whole tent with my teammates and set out wearing my thing souled shoes and all of my trekking gears tied to my body. The trekking route was actually easier and better than the previous one. The view from the trekking route was breathtaking with beautiful snowy mountains such as Dhaulagiri and Kanchhanjunga. It was absolutely breathtaking! So then, we continued through our trail, where I was actually before the teacher and ahead of most students. I was definitely proud of that and was quite excited. Along the way, I discovered various types of plants and trees. There were mostly fern (obviously?) and there were tall trees unto about 15 feet with several bamboos as well. I also got the opportunity to talk to people with whom I had never talked to before at school. So that was interesting as well.


Mountains + Clouds {view on the way}

After 4 hours, we came to a rocky and dry area, that was steep and difficult to climb, however, we had friends who helped each other climb so that was a good experience. Then, we were delighted to see our next stop, which was nest to a tiny village with just two houses and a restaurant. We had our lunch and rested for quite some time, then when off without bags to the place we were to pitch our tents. By the time, we were settled, it was already 5 pm, so then we were set free to do as we wish. Then at 7 pm, we were called out by the teachers to the restaurant to actually help the villagers prepare the dinner together. So all of us were busy (well not all, the lazy ones remained lazy) cooking and cutting. I was the one who cut all of the onions (with teary eyes to point out). Nevertheless, all the pain and hard work were worth and then I went to sleep with my mates.


The next day was a bright and sunny one, with just the sun welcoming us to the first day of our special festival; TIHAR (aka Diwali in India). The day was marvellous because the weather was just right and the place was lit up with happy faces. After an hour or so of packing up and getting ready to go home, we went to have a delicious breakfast. We then set off again in a line, this time to our beloved home sweet home. The trail was VERY easy as compared to the previous ones; it was nearly flat all the way and was downhill (thank god for that). So after nearly 40 minutes…we saw PITCHED road! We saw that our school vans were there to pick us up and drop us home. After three days of trekking (i.e. 18-19 hours of trekking altogether), we bid farewell to the steep hills and the villagers and our friends as well.


Altogether, this trekking was an amazing experience. It is not always every month that you get to go out and experience what’s out there with your friends! I learnt many new skills including climbing steep hills, using trekking gears like the hiking stick for support and even little things like packing your bag, building and taking down tents, living with a new group of friends, lighting the little gas stove and cooking. I have definitely explored my abilities, learnt new skills, communicated with people and have learned to have an open mind for what’s out there. Despite walking with soleless shoes and dripping t-shirts with sweat, I have had an amazing experience and I have to say that I have achieved a lot from what I expected from this trip.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s